Thursday, May 19, 2011

IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn sex scandal

IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn quits over sex charge

International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn has resigned following allegations he sexually assaulted a hotel maid in New York.

In a statement, Mr Strauss-Kahn, 62, said he had already informed the executive board of his intention to step down "with immediate effect".

He again firmly denied the criminal charges against him.

Mr Strauss-Kahn - who is being held in New York's Rikers Island prison - is expected to make a new plea for bail.

In the statement, Mr Strauss-Kahn said: "It is with infinite sadness that I feel compelled today to present to the Executive Board my resignation from my post of Managing Director of the IMF.

"I think at this time first of my wife - whom I love more than anything - of my children, of my family, of my friends. I think also of my colleagues at the Fund; together we have accomplished such great things over the last three years and more.

"To all, I want to say that I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me.

"I want to protect this institution which I have served with honour and devotion, and especially - especially - I want to devote all my strength, all my time, and all my energy to proving my innocence."

The IMF said it would release information "in the near future" about the appointment of Mr Strauss-Kahn's successor.
source BBC

No comments:

Sponsored Links